Onychomycosisalso called as toenail fungus. It indicates swelling, pain, inflammation, and crumbling of the nail itself. This is one of the fungal infections. It is the most common infections. The root cause is underlying fungal growth, mainly candida species.
But you can treat the root cause of the fungus, with dietary changes and certain essential oils. Let’s talk about some of the steps to get rid of toenail fungus.
Some of the signs that developed toenail fungus
It is found that mostly older people are more prone to the fungus that younger one. It is still very common that about 8 percent population suffers from Onychomycosis.
• Nails become soft that they break very easily.
• The nail gets detach from the skin.
• Discoloration of the nails developed around the sides and front of the nails.
• White patches developed on the nails.
• Pain, swelling, and inflammation.
Types of onychomycosis or toenail fungus are– Distal subungual onychomycosis, candida onychomycosis, white superficial onychomycosis, proximal subungual onychomycosis.
Causes of toenail fungus:
• Athlete’s feet.
• Comes in contact with fungi in any salons, contaminated water in swimming pool, or gym areas.
• Dirt or tight shoes.
• Weak immune system.
• Circulation problems because of existing disease like diabetes or artery disease.
You can try these home remedies to treat toenail fungus naturally.
1. Olive leaf extract: It is anti-bacterial as well as anti-viral and anti-fungal. You should take daily. It is a powerful supplement which not only cures the fungal infection but also helps lowers cholesterol level.
2. Tea tree oil: Apply tea tree oil directly on to the affected area with the help of cotton balls. You should apply tea tree oil twice a day. It is the most effective essential oil due to its anti-fungal and antiseptic abilities.
3. Oregano oil: Dip a cotton ball in the oregano oil and apply directly to the nails. You can apply this with the combination of tea tree oil. Thymol present in this essential oil has superb anti-fungal property. You can apply this oil two times a day.
4. Vinegar: It is a safe home remedy. Put few tablespoons of vinegar in half tub of lukewarm water. Soak your affected feet in this water for about 30 minutes. Follow this ritual daily.
5. Listerine: Soak your feet in the diluted Listerine solution for 30 minutes daily. Listerine is highly rich in thymol, menthol, and eucalyptus which is full of antibacterial and antifungal properties.
Other than all these home remedies it is important to eat healthy food with full of nutrients. Your body needs probiotic rich food, enough protein, and iron to support nail growth and prevent brittle nails. Your diet should contain enough essential fatty acids. Enough calcium and vitamin D should also be there. It is also advised that always try to use ayurvedic and herbal products.If you are trying home remedies and they don’t work, then immediately see your doctor.