If we hear the word Vitamin C and vitamin c benefits, everybody thinks it as a common remedy to treat cold and flu. As a matter of fact, Vitamin C is important to maintain the “redox” balance in the body tissues and generate energy in the cells. So let’s cut to the chase and have a glimpse of Vitamin C benefits.
What is Vitamin C?
The fact is it has L-ascorbic acid which is soluble in water and the most potent form that acts as an antioxidant which protects the cells from damage. Mostly found in fruits and vegetables.
Types of Vitamin C
- L-Ascorbic Acid
Basically, it is the most important type of Vitamin c that treats scurvy and helps the body to absorb other nutrients like iron and vitamin D for red blood cells. Specially used to treat the people who are vitamin C deficit.
Best foods which are rich in L-Ascorbic Acid are Broccoli, oranges, Grapes with ascorbic acid benefits. They are a good source of vitamin c
- Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate- (MAP)
To clarify, the water-soluble antioxidant is best suitable for sensitive skin, indeed. Potent Antioxidant used for UV protection repairs skin cells and helps in lightening the dark spots. Most importantly, it controls inflammation and redness altogether.
Best foods which are rich in Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate are Beans and Cashew.
- Ascorbyl Palmitate
Chiefly it is the best form of vitamin C that boosts the immune system. Also, it is the part of ascorbic acid which protects the skin from free radicals and oxidants. Particularly, the best food additive, slightly soluble in water and highly bioavailable.
Best foods which are rich in Ascorbyl Palmitate are potatoes and tomatoes.
- Ascorbic Glucosamine
Significantly, Ascorbic Glucosamine is the marvellous agent of Vitamin family that boosts the collagen formation. It not only boosts the health of bones, cartilage and skin but reduces stiffness and swelling in joints also.
Best foods which are rich in Ascorbic Glucosamine are all the citrus fruits, papaya, kiwi.
- Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate
Tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate is equally important as other members. It is oil soluble of Vitamin C. Most often used in cosmetic products such as anti-ageing and collagen-boosting products. Moreover, its consumption increases the level of collagen in the body that reduce the melanin production from inside and imparts the brightening glow. Furthermore, it absorbs easily in the skin and repairs the dead cells.
Best foods which are rich in Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate are Avocado and Lemon.
- Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate
Similarly, like others, it is also the best antioxidant that neutralizes the free radicals and helps in reducing the damage of skin cells. Hence, best for the women because it helps in stopping the age clock and treats wrinkle and fine lines.
All the citrus fruits, potatoes kiwi, tomatoes are the best source of vitamin c. Kiwi is the richest source of vitamin c
Benefits of Vitamin C
Vitamin c benefits for Skin
– Above all Vitamin C works really amazing for the skin and if we regularly incorporate it into our routine it gives marvellous benefits. Some benefits are-
- Boosts Collagen: As I have noted that Vitamin C is the basic factor to produce collagen. In brief it forms a fibrous network of cells. Basically, collagen is a skin protein consists of two molecules– propyl hydroxylase (to stabilize the collagen molecule) and lysyl hydroxylase (to give structural strength cross-linking). Moreover, Collagen strengthens the skin cells which boosts the elasticity and keeps the skin hydrated. And as a result it helps to look young and fresh.
- Fights with the signs of ageing: on the whole Vitamin C boosts collagen, which repairs the dead cells and antioxidants present in it, In fact, it reduces the risk of damage which leads to control the wrinkles and saggy skin and imparts the tight skin which looks young and refreshed in time.
- Protect from UVA/UVB: Vitamin C repairs the damaged skin cells which get affected by the sun rays. So as to protect the skin it is very important. We create a barrier in front of skin only if we regular use, Vitamin C serum or creams. As a result, it adds a thick layer on dermis that protects the skin from sun.
Note: You can’t use vitamin C serum in replacement of Sunscreen, wear a Sunscreen daily, having SPF 30-50 regardless of whatever else you use in your skin regimen.
– Finally, we are here for health benefits. Straightaway, the body requires lots of vitamins and nutrients and Vitamin C is one of them. In reality, the body isn’t able to store Vitamin C for a longer period of time so it is necessary to intake daily. In other words. it dissolves very easily in body water and excess comes out through urine.
- Boosts Immunity: For this point, Vitamin C plays a vital role in the human body. Therefore, it is the basic key of the immune system that fights with the outer bacteria and common viruses like cold and flu.
Now the recent study shows that it helps in fighting with Corona Virus also because it treats pneumonia and tetanus which only occurs when the cold becomes severe and Corona is also from the family of cold and flu.
- Lowers the risk of Cancer: Meta-analysis found in Vit C rich foods lowers the risk of lung cancer.
- Boosts the strength of Bones: Since everyone knows that calcium and vitamin C are very necessary to build the bones. Without Vitamin C the body cannot produce collagen which is the most important protein to maintain and build joints, bones. Because it is best for the tissues of the digestive tract.
Vitamin c fruit list –
- Red Pepper
Undoubtedly above are the best sources of vitamin c fruits
To list the upper daily vitamin C levels for children and infants are as follows:
- 400 mg for infants aged 1–4 years
- 650 mg for children aged 4–9 years
- 1,200 mg for children aged 9–14 years
- 1,800 mg for teenagers aged 14–18 years
- 1,800 mg in pregnant or breastfeeding teenagers aged 14–18 years
Worst effects of Vitamin C
- Kidney stones: Overall, the body is a perfect machine that needs the proper amount of every mineral and vitamin to work. By all means, if the quantity increases in excess, it harms the body. Similarly same goes with Vitamin C, too much intake of Vitamin c tablets, Vitamin C supplement increases uric acid and if not cured, it resulting into the formation of kidney stones which is painful and hard to cure.
- Bone Spurs: Low level of Vitamin C in the body leads to Arthritis (severe joint pain) and excess also leads to bone spurs surely, that cause acute pain.
- Common Vitamin c Side effects: Generally, Headache, Nausea, skin irritation & Bloating and general abdominal discomfort.
The conclusion, on the whole, is that vitamin C is the best powerhouse of antioxidants that improves health and immune system with youthful skin.