If we hear the word Vitamin C, everybody thinks it as a common remedy to treat cold and flu. Vitamin C is important to maintain the “redox” balance in the body tissues and generate energy in the cells. So let’s cut to the chase and have a glimpse of Vitamin C.
What is Vitamin C?
It has L-ascorbic acid which is soluble in water and the most potent form that act as an antioxidant which protects the cells from damage. Mostly found in fruits and vegetables.
Types of Vitamin C
- L-Ascorbic Acid
Most important type of Vitamin c that treats scurvy and helps the body to absorb other nutrients like iron and vitamin D for red blood cells. Specially used to treat the people who are vitamin C deficit.
Best foods which are rich in L-Ascorbic Acid are Broccoli, oranges, Grapes.
- Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate- (MAP)
Water soluble antioxidant best suitable for sensitive skin. Potent Antioxidant used for UV protection, repairs skin cells and helps in lightening the dark spots. Most importantly, it controls inflammation.
Best foods which are rich in Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate are Beans and Cashew.
- Ascorbyl Palmitate
Best form of vitamin C that boosts the immune system. It is the part of ascorbic acid which protects the skin from free radicals and oxidants. Best food additive, slightly soluble in water and highly bioavailable.
Best foods which are rich in Ascorbyl Palmitate are potatoes and tomatoes.
- Ascorbic Glucosamine
Best Agent of Vitamin family that boosts the collagen formation. It boosts the health of bones, cartilage and skin. Reduce stiffness and swelling in joints.
Best foods which are rich in Ascorbic Glucosamine are all the citrus fruits, papaya, kiwi.
- Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate
Oil soluble of Vitamin C. Most often used in cosmetic products and best for anti-ageing. Its consumption increases the level of collagen in the body that reduce the melanin production from inside and imparts the brightening glow. More importantly absorbs easily in the skin and repair the dead cells.
Best foods which are rich in Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate are Avocado and Lemon.
- Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate
Best antioxidant that neutralizes the free radicals and helps in reducing the damage of skin cells. Best for the women because it helps in stopping the age clock and treats wrinkle and fine lines.
Best foods which are rich in Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate are all the citrus fruits, potatoes kiwi.
Benefits of Vitamin C
Skin Benefits – Vitamin C works amazing for the skin and if we regularly incorporate it into our routine it gives marvellous benefits. Some benefits are-
- Boosts Collagen: Vitamin C is the basic factor to produce collagen. It forms a fibrous network of cells. Basically collagen is a skin protein consists of two molecules– propyl hydroxylase (to stabilize the collagen molecule) and lysyl hydroxylase (to give structural strength cross-linking). Collagen strengthens the skin cells which boosts the elasticity and keeps the skin hydrated. It helps to look young and fresh.
- Fights with the signs of ageing: As Vitamin C boosts collagen, which repairs the dead cells and antioxidants present in it, reduces the risk of damage which leads to control the wrinkles and saggy skin and imparts the tight skin which looks young and refreshed.
- Protect from UVA/UVB: Vitamin C repairs the damaged skin cells which get affected by the sun rays. Regular use of Vitamin C serum or creams add a thick layer on dermis that protects the skin from sun.
Note: You can’t use vitamin C serum in replacement of Sunscreen, wear a Sunscreen daily, having SPF 30-50 regardless of whatever else you use in your skin regimen.
Health Benefits – Body requires lots of vitamins and nutrients and Vitamin C is one of them. Body isn’t able to store Vitamin C for a longer period of time so it is necessary to intake daily. It dissolves very easily in body water and excess comes out through urine.
- Boosts Immunity: Vitamin C plays a vital role in the human body. It is the basic key of the immune system that fights with the outer bacteria and common viruses like cold and flu.
Now the recent study shows that it helps in fighting with Corona Virus also because it treats pneumonia and tetanus which only occurs when cold becomes severe and Corona is also from the family of cold and flu.
- Lowers the risk of Cancer: Meta-analysis found in Vitamin C lowers the risk of lung cancer.
- Boosts the strength of Bones: Everyone knows that calcium and vitamin C are very necessary to build the bones. Without Vitamin C the body cannot produce collagen which is the most important protein to maintain and build joints, bones. Best for the digestive tracts tissues.
Best fruits which are rich in Vitamin C
- Red Pepper
The upper daily vitamin C levels for children and infants are as follows:
- 400 mg for infants aged 1–4 years
- 650 mg for children aged 4–9 years
- 1,200 mg for children aged 9–14 years
- 1,800 mg for teenagers aged 14–18 years
- 1,800 mg in pregnant or breastfeeding teenagers aged 14–18 years
Worst effects of Vitamin C
- Kidney stones: Body is a perfect machine that needs the proper amount of every mineral and vitamin to work. If the quantity increases in excess, it harms the body. Same goes with Vitamin C, too much intake of Vitamin C supplement increases uric acid and if not cured, it leads to the formation of kidney stones which is painful and hard to cure.
- Bone Spurs: Low level of Vitamin C in the body leads to Arthritis (severe joint pain) and excess also leads to bone spurs that cause acute pain.
- Common Side effects: Headache, Nausea, skin irritation & Bloating and general abdominal discomfort.
Vitamin C is the best powerhouse of antioxidants that improves health and immune system with youthful skin.